Sunday, July 15, 2012

Chi-ca-Go!

My first time driving downtown Chicago was on a Wednesday morning, it was plenty busy, but not too bad. As I drove along I wondered why I saw no speed limit signs, later I came to understand why they weren't needed. That Wednesday morning driving to Costco my ignorant small city brain hadn't seen anything yet. Then Friday afternoon came. 2:30pm, wow. I learned a lot that Friday afternoon and came up with 7 must follow rules for fitting in on the road. 

 1. If the light is green, you cram your way into the intersection EVEN if the traffic up ahead has stopped. It doesn't matter that you'll still be in the intersection when the light turns red, there will be plenty others in the intersection to keep you company. 

2. Disregard all signs and obstacles, if a sign says no turn on red but you're clear YOU TURN! If people are in the road YOU TURN! Other cars? You weasel your way in. 

3. Feel free to cut people off to get in a lane, but make sure you roll your window down and thank them with a friendly wave.

4. ALWAYS use your GPS to know where the least amount of traffic is. It's got a birds eye view and you don't. 

5. Plan ahead with snacks and water in your car, unexpected traffic can set you back an hour or two. Nothing like being parched or hungry on the road.

6. Don't mess with busses, they mean business. They won't stop for hardly anything, seriously.

7. If you are going to use your horn, lay it on nice n' thick, don't hold back.

Oh and the speed limit signs? The times that you would actually be able to drive 25 or 30 miles an hour are so rare, why post signs? This is life in the city! What an adventure. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I love being here with my husband and experiencing this beautiful place!

1 comment:

  1. haha I can't wait til you come back and drive in Utah again. You're going to dominate 5th south!

    ReplyDelete